Sunday, May 31, 2009

Working in layers

Tranquility and Happiness
6 x 4 mixed media on 300# watercolor paper
by Miki Willa
This is an example of a work that designed itself. I started out with a simple composition in mind. It got more complicated with each new element I added. As I layered the papers, some hand made and some from magazines, I felt it was getting too busy. I decided to unify it a bit with titan buff acrylic and a sponge. At this point, I was really liking the layers and textures created by the different papers and the sponge application. When that all dried, I chose some dark purple acrylic and rubbed it in selected places to highlight some of the texture. I also added the kanji for tranquility and for happiness, because the colors reminded me of both emotions. There was a point at which I was pretty sure this was going to be a throw-away. I am so glad I listened to that little voice inside me that told me how to make it work.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it wonderful when a piece comes together after all the ups and downs (emotionally) you feel about the piece. I really like that you explain not only the process and the materials you used, but also the feelings the piece evoked as it came together.

    ReplyDelete